Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Mansfield: Top Secret, March 29, 2008


Saturday I went on an exploration mission with a new friend of the best kind...those you meet in the woods. We leap-frogged up the TD the week before and found out that we both wanted to check out the same area of the mountain. So we did. One of the things I like most about diving into the backcountry is that you never know what will happen or what you encounter. (I encountered a pheasant burrowed in the snow. He popped out with a great ruckus when I rode over him!) There's the high hope of finding sweet, open birch glades intermingled with the possibilitiy that you'll be hiking out. Ah, and how satisfying it is, what a moment of glory, when you find the hidden treasure. This is what we found. I'd like to think no one else knows of these lines. We saw no evidence of any people other than snowshoers. Once we dropped into the ravine...wilderness. I'll be going back for sure!


No comments: