Wednesday, July 9, 2008

I Got Mobbed...

...by a boulder at the beloved swimming hole. It was a simple jump-down-from-the-rock move. I misstepped and smacked the rock with my foot then landed funny. I thought I just tweaked it, got geared up, hiked the bike out of the ravine and tried to ride. It became apparent pretty quickly that I had to bail. The pain I expected to disipate got worse. So we headed back to the cars. Rog took off quickly to fulfill bbq obligations, while Maria and I hung at my car administering first aid and self-medicating.

Still holding out hope that it wasn't that bad and knowing that it was, we drove to Arcana to get some plants. When I went to get out of the car, I couldn't walk. My foot would bear no weight. So Maria kindly followed me to my storage unit and dug out my crutches. I headed home to RICE my foot.

...The next day, 5 hours in Fanny Allen Walk-In and a few pictures confirmed what I was pretty sure of. I broke it. The 5th metatarsal (outer bone). It's not displaced. I'll know more Monday when I go to the ortho. For now, it's in a temporary cast, and I haven't even seen my x-rays. (They said they couldn't show them to me because they are digital. WTF?! Shouldn't that make it easier to show patients?)

Mobbs is such a fun place to ride, and I love the swimming hole. It's a shame I may never see it again. You see, I got Mobbed last year, too...sprained my ankle (three months of healing and rehab). I think the place is cursed for me. Truely a shame.

I've been trying not to think about what I can't do (the LT, mtn bike, drive my car). I can read lots and catch up on my movie watching. I can hobble around the garden with my 5-gallon bucket to rest on when I wear out pulling weeds. I can keep training. (My neighbor said she'd help me do pilates.) I can get prepared for the next school year so that I'm not so busy in the winter. I can study topos of where I'll go when I'm healed, tune my bike, get my Rossi split, watch ski nrop, and rehab. I can plan winter trainings and trips. I can throw parties (TBA)!

Peace, from the bright side of broken,
Rachel Rose

No comments: